Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Show and Hide VirtualBox Menu Bar and Status Bar

I use VirtualBox to host virtual machines on my laptop. I am not a fan of clutter, especially when things needlessly take up space. The menu and status bar on the virtual machine window fall into the category of unneeded clutter most of the time. After a considerable amount of digging, I found the VBoxManage command and from there built my commands from there.

There is a downside to using this, the changes are applied the next time VirtualBox starts. Which means you have to completely close VirtualBox and then start it again to toggle it. When you are finished with the bars, you have to close VirtualBox again to toggle it back. I find that I need to use it once every couple months, so the downside is not really an issue.

Here are the contents of batch files to toggle the menu bar and status bar.
C:
cd "\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/Customizations noMenuBar,noStatusBar
As always, it is good to know how to undo what just occurred.
C:
cd "\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox"
VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/Customizations MenuBar,StatusBar

No comments: