Thursday, September 25, 2014

Synergy Desktop Path Error

I recently started working on a mobile project which afforded me the opportunity to flex my iOS development skills again. I installed the latest version of Synergy on my MacBook and my main laptop. I used the setup I had before which loaded correctly, but I started receiving this error which prevented me from connecting my Mac to my PC host.

ERROR: failed to get desktop path, no drop target available, error=2

Googling wasn't fruitful so I looked at the settings which looked as I expected. I finally tried unchecking the "Elevate" checkbox and clicked "Apply". The error went away and I was able to connect. "Elevate" should mean that the service will run in elevated/administrator mode. I found no events being raised in the event log and I believe I had the Synergy application successfully using the Elevate option in the past. Whatever the root cause was, not using the "Elevate" option fixed the issue.

For those that do not know about Synergy, it is an
application which allows you to share your keyboard and mouse with other computers over a network. I have been using Synergy for years and find is especially useful when I need to switch between multiple computers frequently.

No comments: