Friday, November 28, 2014

Windows 7 IKEv2 VPN "Verifying User and Password..."

I VPN quite often and recently something changed on my old laptop running Windows 7 which prevented me from connecting. I was able to connect using my laptop running Windows 8. After some hunting I came across this TechNet thread.

The fix ended up being very simple, but not intuitive.
  1. View your network adaptors by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connection
  2. Right-click on the offending VPN adapter and click Properties
  3. Click on the Security tab
  4. Change the "Type of VPN" value from IKEv2 to Point to Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
  5. Click OK
From the thread:
It seems that when this property is set to Automatic the WAN Miniport defaults to IKEv2 (and gets stuck if this is not the VPN type used).
Translated: it is a feature not a bug.

Now attempt to connect again. Short of other issues, it will connect successfully.

No comments: